Over the next few minutes you should be learning quite a bit about healthy food and restaurants in San Diego. Our main objective is to cover as much as we can so that you will be able to buy nutritious foods in your area and feel great when your next meal is finished.
The best vegan and vegetarian restaurants near you will get the ball rolling and vegetable lovers are not lacking for options here. More healthy restaurants will come next in addition to nice salad bars and soup restaurants.
Buying nutritious ingredients at San Diego health food stores and markets is a fantastic way to figure out just how healthy your diet really is. Smoothies and juice stores will get a quick shout out, and then a few gluten free bakeries with lots of fresh baked low sugar sweets and treats will round out the post.
Expect to find a local healthy foods map towards the conclusion that will help you locate all of the places we mention throughout the article. For more posts on delicious and nutritious restaurants in the Southwest check out that link.
Vegan & Vegetarian Restaurants
There are some really good vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your area like:
- Donna Jean at 2949 Fifth Ave
- Plumeria Vegetarian Restaurant at 4661 Park Blvd
- Greenhaus Vegetarian Eatery at 1118 Morena Blvd
- Grains at 2201 Adams Ave
- Tropical Oasis at 417 Telegraph Canyon Rd, Chula Vista
- Eris Food Co at 302 Wisconsin Ave, Oceanside
- The Plot at 1733 S Coast Hwy, Oceanside
- Phatties Vegan Mexican Restaurant at 242 W Mission Ave # D, Escondido
House vegan specialties likes sea bean Caesar salads, mac and cheese, handmade pastas, pizzas, desserts, and more healthy meals in your area are served at Donna Jean from 5pm to 9pm Wednesday through Sunday.
Plumeria specializes in Thai vegetarian cuisine with a variety of curries and noodles.
Sushi, soups, salads, grilled cabbage, and takoyaki are all available at The Plot.
Phatties offers Mexican vegan dishes like tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, tortillas, salads, and burritos.
San Diego Healthy Restaurants
There are plenty more healthy restaurants in San Diego like:
- Veggilish at 1146 7th Ave
- True Food Kitchen at 7007 Friars Rd #394
- Grabbagreen Food + Juice at 222 Broadway
- Frutas 100% Natural at 616 Broadway, Chula Vista
- Healthy Grill at 3440 Del Lago Blvd St I, Escondido
- Blendees at 1297 E Main St, El Cajon
- Urbane Cafe at 120 Fletcher Pkwy St115, El Cajon
- Crafted Greens at 745 Jamacha Road, El Cajon
Veggilish offers local vegetarian bowls with a variety of pastas, quinoa, black beans, spring mix, and a layer of toppings with gluten free options.
True Food Kitchen prepares nutritious bowls and salads near you along with pizzas, burgers, sandwiches, desserts, and juices.
Frutas provides a variety of juices, smoothies, sandwiches, salads, tortas, and healthy wraps.
Salad Bars In Your Area
You can always get a nutritious meal at one of these salad bars near you:
- Tender Greens at 2400 Historic Decatur Rd # 104
- Grater Greens at 5608 Mission Center Rd # 901
- Ahipoki at 1268 Auto Park Way, Escondido
- Tinleaf Fresh Kitchen at 6985 El Camino Real # 108, Carlsbad
- Croutons at 5814 Van Allen Way #155, Carlsbad
Tender Greens has a wide variety of healthy salads to choose from. Grater provides nutritious grain bowls and specialty salads.
Homemade soups, salads, and sandwiches with gluten free options are offered at Tinleaf.
More great salads can be found at places from our best healthy restaurants in San Diego list including The Plot, True Food Kitchen, and Frutas.
Soup Du Jour at 8583 Aero Drive specializes in comfort foods such as hot stews, steaks, and salads.
The Plot, Tinleaf Fresh Kitchen, and Croutons from some different lists also serve healthy soups in your area.
Health Food Stores & Markets
Buy your own fresh fruits and vegetables at these local health food stores and markets:
- Ocean Beach People’s Organic Food Market at 4765 Voltaire St
- Whole Foods Market at 711 University Ave
- Sprouts Farmers Market at 4175 Park Blvd
- Windmill Farms at 6386 Del Cerro Blvd
- Lazy Acres at 422 W Washington
- Cream of the Crop at 2009 S Coast Hwy, Oceanside
- Major Market at 1855 S Centre City Pkwy, Escondido
You can also find a Whole Foods in La Jolla and Del Mar but we don’t like to load our lists up with the same chains over and over.
Smoothies & Juice Shops
Smoothie and juice shops are good options for a quick and healthy snack:
- LIV Juice Bar & Smoothies at 1251 University Ave
- Vitality Tap at 650 1st Ave
- Juice Alchemy at 3156 Fifth Ave
- Juice Adventure at 935 Otay Lakes Rd, Chula Vista
- Robeks Fresh Juices & Smoothies at 374 E H St, Chula Vista
- Roots Craft Juice at 631 S Cleveland St, Oceanside
- Gofruit at 272 E Via Rancho Pkwy, Escondido
- Frutimania Juices & Delights at 330 W Felicita Ave # E-6, Escondido
- Tropifruit Juice Bar at 762 N Johnson Ave, El Cajon
- Surf City Squeeze at 2525 El Camino Real, Carlsbad
- Choice Juicery at 430 Carlsbad Village Dr, Carlsbad
A variety of acai bowls, sandwiches, salads, and more healthy foods near you are offered at Juice Adventure.
Roots prepares tasty nut milks, acai bowls, and artisanal toasts.
Tropifruit serves fruit salads, desserts, sandwiches, bagels, croissants, grain bowls, and tortas.
Surf City Squeeze makes natural local smoothies and juices.
Choice Juicery provides superfood snacks like coconut ceviche, chipotle kale chips, protein brownies, and raw chocolate truffles with gluten free options.
Gluten Free Bakeries Near You
Gluten free bakeries in San Diego should have plenty of good things to try:
- The Gluten Free Baking Co at 4594 30th St
- Starry Lane Bakery at 3925 Fourth Ave
- Paleo Treats at 3275 Adams Ave #A
- Deanna’s Gluten Free Bakery at 2250 S Escondido Blvd, Escondido
- Plantiful Kitchen at 5661 Palmer Way St G, Carlsbad
The Gluten Free Baking Co sells breads, bagels, cupcakes, cookies, donuts, muffins, dry mixes, and more with nondairy and vegan selections in your area.
Gluten free fresh breads, cassava tortillas, cakes, and other baked items with nondairy and keto friendly options are all available at Paleo Treats.
Breads, pizzas, dinner rolls, baguettes, pies, cookies, and brownies are offered at Deanna’s with gluten free, vegan, and nonallergenic choices.
You might also want to know about:
Enjoy Eating Healthy In San Diego
Now that you have read about all of those local vegan and vegetarian restaurants, other healthy restaurants, salad bars, places to get great soup, health food stores and markets, smoothies and juice shops, and gluten free bakeries in your area it should be easy for you to grab a delicious and nutritious meal in the near future.
If you noticed anything incorrect on this page or if anything we mentioned has become dated please let us know in the comments so we can keep our info as fresh as possible. Hopefully you enjoy eating healthy food at restaurants in San Diego.