We will be taking a closer look at where you can find healthy food and restaurants in San Francisco today. We’ll do our best to cover all of the best locations near you to acquire nutritious foods so you will feel as good as possible when your next meal is finished.
The best vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your area will get things going and vegetable lovers have plenty of options in this town. Other local healthy restaurants will come next, as well as nice salad bars and soup restaurants.
Buying nutritious things at San Francisco health food stores and markets is a fantastic way to be in control of how healthy your diet really is. Smoothies and juice stores will follow, and then a few gluten free bakeries with lots of fresh baked low sugar sweets will wrap it up.
Towards the end there will even be a healthy foods map that will help you locate all of the places we mention throughout the article. And we have written numerous blogs about how to find healthy foods near you in the Pacific Northwest there if you are interested in reading more.
Vegan & Vegetarian Restaurants
There are some really good vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your area like:
- Nourish Café at 189 6th Ave
- Judahlicious at 3906 Judah St
- Enjoy Vegetarian at 839 Kearny St
- Shizen Vegan Sushi Bar & Izakaya at 370 14th St
- Golden Era at 395 Golden Gate Ave
- Vegan Picnic at 1323 Polk St
- The Vegan Lasagna Garden at 2070 Broadway, Redwood City
- Wildseed at 855 El Camino Real, Palo Alto
- The Butcher’s Son Vegan Delicatessen & Bakery at 1954 University Ave, Berkeley
Nourish Café serves plant based, organic, whole food, and non GMO dishes including bowls, sandwiches, soups, French toast, smoothies, and plenty more.
A wide range of acai bowls, salads, and many more of the best vegan dishes in your area as well as teas, smoothies, and juices are available at Judahlicious.
Enjoy Vegetarian offers over 125 dishes including Mongolian beef, kung pao chicken, golden knoll, eggplant with sea bass, and many more Chinese classics.
Shizen is a good option for vegan sushi, salads, ramen, sakes, and other nutritious items.
San Francisco Healthy Restaurants
There are plenty more healthy restaurants in San Francisco like:
- Beloved Natural Café at 3338 24th St
- Plant Cafe Organic at 250 Montgomery St #101
- Kitava at 2011 Mission St
- Greens at 2 Marina Blvd Bldg A
- Ananda Fuara at 1298 Market St
- As Quoted at 3613 Sacramento St
- True Food Kitchen at 180 El Camino Real #1140, Palo Alto
- Sweetgreen at 1 E 3rd Ave, San Mateo
- Falafel & Things at 2766 Bay Rd, Redwood City
- Razan’s Organic Kitchen at 2119 Kittredge St, Berkeley
- Summer Kitchen + Bakeshop at 2944 College Ave, Berkeley
Delicious plant based meals as well as fresh juices, superfood smoothies, and organic teas are served at Beloved Natural Café.
There are fine servings of freshly squeezed juices and smoothies as well as salads, sandwiches, fresh seafood, organic homemade pastries, sweets, and many more Asian inspired healthy dishes near you at Plant Cafe Organic.
Hearty meals that are made with nutritious vegetables, lean meat, and heart healthy fats are offered at Kitava.
Some of the most popular options at Ananda Fuara include their meatloaf sandwich, portobello quesadilla, samosas, chicken pesto wrap, French toast, and wild mushroom Benedict.
Gluten free items ranging from organic local salads to open face sandwiches to plates, soups, and smoothies are provided at As Quoted.
You can choose from a variety of Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Greek, and New York street cuisine with vegetarian and gluten free options in Redwood City at Falafel and Things. Their menu includes falafel, hummus, baby eggplant babaganoush, chicken over rice, Greek beef gyro over rice, lemon hibiscus tea, baklava, and plenty more.
Since 1997 Razan’s Organic Kitchen has been serving Mediterranean and Latin platters, burritos, and wraps in Berkeley.
Salad Bars In Your Area
You can always get a nutritious meal at one of these salad bars near you:
- Mixt at 3130 Fillmore St
- Salad Place at 5392 Mission St
- Green Bar at 3 Embarcadero Ctr
- Blue Barn at 2237 Polk St
- Mendocino Farms at 1060 Park Pl, San Mateo
- The Sandwich Spot at 2420 Broadway, Redwood City
- Sprout Café at 168 University Ave, Palo Alto
- Organic Greens Salad & More at 2177 Kittredge St, Berkeley
- Tender Greens at 2071 University Ave, Berkeley
You can build your own salads as well as get grain bowls and sandwiches at Mixt. Salad Place has more than 30 varieties as well as sandwiches and some of the best healthy wraps in your area.
A wide range of self serve salads, delectable hot meals, and made to order gourmet sandwiches are available at Green Bar.
Blue Barn’s menu features creative salads, toasted sandwiches, grilled cheese, and soups. You can get gourmet organic salads, delicious paninis, fresh pressed juices, smoothies, and many more nutritious items at Organic Greens.
Really good soups can be found at these restaurants:
- Soupchu at 1096 Union St
- Ladle & Leaf at 580 California St
- Erik’s DeliCafé at 400 Walnut St, Redwood City
- Stuffed Inn at 1829 Euclid Ave, Berkeley
Soupchu makes vegan and gluten free soups and stews from scratch and their most popular options include chicken couscous, tomato roasted red bell pepper, red lentil, and yogurt soup.
More than 30 soups with vegan, low fat, gluten free, dairy free, and spicy options as well as salads, grain bowls, and sandwiches are provided at Ladle and Leaf.
Erik’s DeliCafe is one of the best spots to go for lunch sandwiches, homemade soups, salads, and baked goods such as cookies, brownies, and much more.
For four decades The Stuffed Inn has been making soups from scratch every day including popular healthy options like split pea and tomato vegetable.
Health Food Stores & Markets
Buy your own fresh fruits and vegetables at these local health food stores and markets:
- Rainbow Grocery at 1745 Folsom St
- Green Earth Natural Foods at 860 Divisadero St
- Other Avenues Grocery at 3930 Judah St
- Real Food Company at 2140 Polk St
- Crystal Springs Produce at 770 Polhemus Rd, San Mateo
- Sigona’s Farmers Market at 2345 Middlefield Rd, Redwood City
- Country Sun Natural Foods at 440 California Ave, Palo Alto
- Piazza’s Fine Foods at 3922 Middlefield Rd, Palo Alto
- Berkeley Natural Grocery Company at 1336 Gilman St, Berkeley
There are also around a dozen Whole Foods Markets near you in the San Francisco area but we don’t really want to fill up our list with one chain.
Smoothies & Juice Shops
Smoothie and juice shops are good options for a quick and healthy snack:
- Sidewalk Juice at 3287 21st St
- Project Juice at 790 Valencia St
- Juice Portal at 166 W Portal Ave
- Bebebar at 3809 18th St
- Juice Shop at 432 Octavia St
- Deja Vu Organic Juice Bar at 314 S B St, San Mateo
- Pressed at 660 Stanford Shopping Center # 230, Palo Alto
- Earthbar at 1911 Fourth St #101, Berkeley
- Juice Appeal at 150 Berkeley Sq, Berkeley
Juice Portal is a great place to buy local salads, acai bowls, granola, and grain bowls and offers add ons for your smoothies like hemp protein powder, activated charcoal, camu camu, mushroom blend, maca, ashwagandha, e3 live, and spirulina.
Bebebar provides a range of acai bowls including granola, strawberry, and banana as well as vegan and gluten free options. Deja Vu Organic Juice Bar in San Mateo makes healthy acai bowls, sandwiches, and salads.
Gluten Free Bakeries Near You
Gluten free bakeries in San Francisco should have plenty of good things to try:
- Wholesome Bakery at 299 Divisadero St
- Mariposa at One Ferry Building #32
- Whole Cakes at 100 1st St GB01
- Misfits Bakehouse at 2706 Middlefield Rd, Palo Alto
Homemade vegan pastries and confections such as cupcakes, fudge brownies, carrot and confetti cakes, and bread that are free of gluten, soy, and sugar are available at Wholesome Bakery.
You can buy gluten free croissants, pastries, brownies and squares, donuts, muffins, cakes, cupcakes, pies, cookies, and biscotti at Mariposa as well as savory goods like breads, rustic croutons, bagels, pizza crusts, and scones.
Misfits Bakehouse makes vegan, paleo, keto friendly, and non GMO baked products like bread, pastries, donuts, and baklava that are free of gluten, corn, grain, soy, and sugar.
You might also want to know about:
Enjoy Eating Healthy In San Francisco
Now that you have read about all of those local vegan and vegetarian restaurants, other healthy restaurants, salad bars, places to get great soup, health food stores and markets, smoothies and juice shops, and gluten free bakeries in your area it should be easy for you to grab a delicious and nutritious meal in the near future.
If you noticed anything incorrect on this page or if anything we mentioned has become dated please let us know in the comments so we can keep our info as fresh as possible. Hopefully you enjoy eating healthy food at restaurants in San Francisco.