We will be taking a closer look at where you can find healthy food and restaurants in New York City today. We’ll do our best to cover all of the best locations near you to acquire nutritious foods so you will feel as good as possible when your next meal is finished.
The best vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your area will get things going and vegetable lovers have plenty of options in this town. Other local healthy restaurants will come next, as well as nice salad bars and soup restaurants.
Buying nutritious things at New York City health food stores and markets is a fantastic way to be in control of how healthy your diet really is. Smoothies and juice stores will follow, and then a few gluten free bakeries with lots of fresh baked low sugar sweets will wrap it up.
Towards the end there will even be a healthy foods map that will help you locate all of the places we mention throughout the article. If you’re interested you can also check out our other posts on the Northeast at that link.
Vegan & Vegetarian Restaurants
Some of the best local vegan and vegetarian restaurants would be:
- Le Botaniste at 833 Lexington Ave, Manhattan
- Avant Garden at 130 E 7th St, Manhattan
- Urban Vegan Kitchen at 41 Carmine St, Manhattan
- Ladybird at 111 E 7th St, Manhattan
- Modern Love at 317 Union Ave, Brooklyn
- Amituofo at 19 Bogart St, Brooklyn
- Mae Mae Café & Plant Shop at 2417 Third Ave, The Bronx
- A Live Kitchen at 227-16 Merrick Blvd, Queens
- Urban Vegan Roots at 34-47 31st St, Queens
- Dairy Palace at 2216 Victory Blvd, Staten Island
Le Botaniste serves freshly cooked plant powered meals and globally inspired delicacies like spicy chili sin carne, Tibetan mama coconut curry, pasta bolo, and plenty more from 11am to 9pm.
Some of the best vegan dishes in New York City are available from 5pm to 11pm at Avant Garden.
You can make your own bowls at Urban Vegan Kitchen as well as choose from their menu of delectable vegan comfort foods like chili cheese fries and chicken and waffles.
Ladybird opens at 5pm on weekdays and 11am on weekends serving popular buffalo maitake buns and fondues.
Modern Love makes delicious French toast, chicken sandwiches, chorizo nachos, fried tofu, and many more healthy vegan foods in Brooklyn.
Plant based meals and beverages are the specialties of Amituofo which are available throughout the week from 11:30am to 10:30pm.
Mae Mae is an eclectic plant based eatery and plant store in The Bronx that is open from 12pm to 7pm Tuesday through Friday and 10am to 4pm on Saturday.
From 11am to 9pm Tuesday through Sunday A Live Kitchen provides vegan and organic meals and juices in Queens.
American soul food and Latin inspired vegan cuisine, pizza, seasonal specials, and drinks are available every day at Urban Vegan Roots.
Dairy Palace features an extensive menu of healthy foods in Staten Island ranging from salads to vegetarian friendly and low calorie or weight control dishes that you can try from 11am to 7:30pm except for Saturday when they are closed.
New York City Healthy Restaurants
You can also try other healthy restaurants in New York City like:
- Springbone Kitchen at 90 W 3rd St, Manhattan
- Fresh From Hell at 326 W 47th St, Manhattan
- Honeybrains at 372 Lafayette St, Manhattan
- Brain Food at 967 Bedford Ave, Brooklyn
- Meme’s Healthy Nibbles at 707 Nostrand Ave, Brooklyn
- Healthy Fresh at 1033 Morris Park Ave, The Bronx
- Better Gourmet Health Kitchen at 2333 Hylan Blvd, Staten Island
Springbone Kitchen takes pride in providing wholesome meals along with a menu that includes tasty bone broth and healthy bowls in your area starting at 10am every day.
Healthy homemade meals, acai bowls, fresh juices, and smoothies are available from 7am to 7pm Monday through Saturday and until 6am on Sunday at Fresh From Hell.
Honeybrains is a restaurant and café serving tasty and healthy food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner near you along with fresh juices, coffee, tea, and nutrient based supplements from 8am to 9pm daily.
Every day from 7:30am to 10pm Brain Food in Brooklyn offers organic veggies, grains, free range eggs, nitrate free bacon, and farm raised wild salmon.
Meme’s Healthy Nibbles is a good place to eat conventional breakfast staples such as waffles, pancakes, and omelets plus they serve lunch items too along with fresh local organic juices and smoothies from 7:15am to 4:30pm Tuesday through Friday and from 8:15am on weekends.
A healthy menu in The Bronx with a range of alternatives to choose from including pancakes, paninis, fresh cold pressed juices, smoothie bowls, burgers, smoothies, heroes, juice shots, and much more are provided at Healthy Fresh from 7am until 8:30pm.
Better Gourmet Health Kitchen in Staten Island offers a variety of fresh meals, whole wheat breads, and much more from 10am to 8pm on weekdays and from 10:30am on Saturday.
Salad Bars In Your Area
There will be plenty of nutritious foods to choose from at salad bars near you:
- Chopt Creative Salad at 51 Astor Pl, Manhattan
- Just Salad at 151 W 34th St 4F, Manhattan
- GreenStreets Salads at 67 Irving Ave, Brooklyn
- Lettuce Eat Inc at 1633 Crosby Ave, The Bronx
- Freshmix at 153-15 Union Turnpike, Queens
- The Salad Junkie at 100 Stuyvesant Pl, Staten Island
You can get salads made from fresh produce, heated bowls, grilled wraps, and plenty more nutritious foods starting at 10:30am at Chopt Creative Salad Co.
Just Salad makes plant centric meals in Manhattan with homemade sauces, proteins, scratch made recipes, fresh salads, wraps, bowls, and avocado toast every day from 11am to 7:30pm.
Distinctive wraps and sandwiches are served from 9am to 8pm Monday through Saturday at Lettuce Eat Inc in The Bronx.
Freshmix is open from 11am to 7pm Monday through Friday and 10am to 5pm on Saturday making natural salads, wraps, bowls, and fresh dressings.
Every day from 12pm to 8pm The Salad Junkie serves some of the best salads near you.
Of course most of the restaurants we are mentioning throughout this NYC healthy eating guide will have some sort of salads on the menu too.
Great soups can be found at these restaurants:
- Hale & Hearty at 462 7th Ave, Manhattan
- Peasant Stock at 120 Essex St, Manhattan
- The Soup Bowl at 302 7th Avenue, Brooklyn
- German’s Soup at 410 Utica Ave, Brooklyn
- Tamashii Restaurant at 40-09 Bell Blvd, Queens
A wide range of freshly prepared soups, salads, sandwiches, and simmers are offered from 10am to 5pm on weekdays at Hale and Hearty.
Peasant Stock excels at providing vegan and vegetarian options in addition to stews, gazpachos, and more from 10am to 5pm Monday through Saturday.
The Soup Bowl is a solid option for delicious homemade soups in Brooklyn and they are open seven days a week from 9am to 8:30pm.
In addition to soups German’s also prepares Guyanese delicacies from 9:30am to 9pm daily.
From 12pm to 11pm Tamashii Restaurant offers Japanese curry, beef bowls, gyu don, katsu don, takoyaki teriyaki, onigiri, and a variety of other options.
Health Food Stores & Markets
Pick out your own produce at these local health food stores and markets:
- Westerly Natural Market at 911 8th Ave, Manhattan
- LifeThyme Natural Market at 410 6th Ave, Manhattan
- Greenpoint Natural Market at 1021 Manhattan Ave, Brooklyn
- Perelandra Natural Food Center at 175 Remsen St, Brooklyn
- Forever Young Health Food at 2391 Grand Concourse, The Bronx
- Greenbay at 3206 Broadway, Queens
- Tastebud’s Natural Foods at 1807 Hylan Blvd, Staten Island
- Market Fresh at 570 Tompkins Ave., Staten Island
- Vodega Deli & Grocery at 829 Castleton Ave, Staten Island
A large selection of organic produce, organic and natural foods, vitamins, sports nutrition supplements, natural body care items, seafood, meat and poultry, cheesed and dairy products, dried fruits, nuts and seeds, and other products are available at Westerly Natural Market. They also have a deli section, organic juice bar, and hot soup station which are open from 7am to 11:30pm on weekdays and from 8am on weekends.
LifeThyme is a locally owned and operated natural market in Manhattan specializing in organic produce, raw, vegan, plant based specialty foods, and other items. They also feature a vegan salad bar, steam table, and bakery which are open from 8am to 10pm on weekdays and from 9am on weekends.
An assortment of natural and organic foods, certified organic produce, ecologically friendly body care, healthy, handcrafted vegetarian foods, and high quality dietary supplements are available from 7am to 10pm at Perelandra Natural Foods in Brooklyn.
Forever Young Health Food in The Bronx provides quality vitamins, natural and organic foods, and healing herbs six days a week starting at 10am.
Greenbay Marketplace sells natural and organic products in Queens 24 hours a day seven days a week.
A large variety of organic, vegan, gluten free, and soy free items are provided at Tastebud’s Natural Foods in Staten Island where they also feature an organic and vegan deli, salad bar, and juice bar which are open from 9am to 8pm Monday through Saturday and from 10am to 7pm on Sunday.
Your local Market Fresh Supermarket has a comprehensive selection of groceries, fresh cut meat, cold cuts, gourmet prepared foods, fruit, dairy, organic, and gluten free items from 7am to 10pm daily.
Vodega Deli and Grocery opens at 11am Tuesday through Friday and 10am on weekends selling all the stuff you need to live a healthy life in New York City.
Smoothies & Juice Shops
There are quite a few New York City smoothie and juice shops too:
- Healthy Green Juice Bar at 30 John St, Manhattan
- Agavi at 72 E 7th St, Manhattan
- Om Juice Bar at 62 Madison Ave, Manhattan
- Chelsea Juice at 200 West 14th St, Manhattan
- Juicy Cube at 674 Lexington Ave, Manhattan
- Juice Bar Plus at 700 3rd Ave, Manhattan
- Playa Bowls at 299 7th Ave, Manhattan
- Juice Generation at 210 Bedford Ave, Brooklyn
- Pure Green at 95 Boerum Pl, Brooklyn
- Juices For Life at 277 Malcolm X Blvd, Brooklyn
- Fresh Wey Juice Bar at 1354 White Plains Rd, Bronx
- Juice Lounge at 725 Burke Ave, Bronx
- Kings Juice Bar at 955 Seneca Ave, Queens
- Pure Juicery at 895 Annadale Rd, Staten Island
Gluten Free Bakeries Near You
Gluten free bakeries in your area should have plenty of good things to try:
- Senza Gluten at 171 Sullivan St, Manhattan
- Erin McKenna’s at 248 Broome St, Manhattan
- Noglu at 1266 Madison Ave, Manhattan
- Elisa’s Love Bites at 441 East 9th St, Manhattan
- Posh Pop Bakeshop at 192 Bleecker St, Manhattan
- By the Way Bakery at 2440 Broadway, Manhattan
- Happy Zoe Vegan Bakery at 102 B Nassau Ave, Brooklyn
- Clementine at 395 Classon Ave, Brooklyn
- Conti’s at 786 Morris Park Ave, Bronx
- Sensible Edibles Bakery at 47-57 31st Pl, Queens
- Rudy’s Pastry Shop at 905 Seneca Ave, Queens
- Alfonso’s Pastry Shoppe at 1899 Victory Blvd, Staten Island
- Sans Bakery at 3100 47th Ave, Long Island City
Senza Gluten offers a variety of fresh pastries, breads, and gluten free baked products near you throughout the week starting at 9am except on Tuesday when they are closed.
Erin McKenna’s Bakery is a dedicated vegan, gluten free, soy free, and kosher bakery in Manhattan that is open every day at 8am.
French gluten free sweet and savory delights are available seven days a week from 9am to 4pm at Noglu.
Elisa’s Love Bites makes healthy snacks that are free of gluten and sugar and serves them along with healthy beverages and Panamanian coffee from 11am to 7pm.
Vegan and gluten free baked goods in your area are sold at Posh Pop Bakeshop every day starting at 11am.
Handcrafted gluten free and dairy free baked products are available at By the Way Bakery from 8am to 6pm daily.
Happy Zoe Vegan Bakery in Brooklyn specializes in natural, organic, vegan, and gluten free cakes, cheesecakes, donuts, brownies, and more.
Clementine is a plant based bakery, café, and supermarket serving vegan pastries, custom cakes, to go meals, and plenty more every day from 8:30am to 6pm.
Sensible Edibles is a wholesale vegan and gluten free bakery in Queens providing high quality baked goods from 10am to 6pm on weekdays.
Black forest cake, old fashioned jelly doughnuts, classic cheese rings, fresh croissants, and savory frittatas with vegan and gluten free alternatives are available at Rudy’s Pastry Shop starting at 6am Monday through Saturday and 7am on Sunday.
Alfonso’s Pastry Shoppe excels at providing local gluten free pastries, buns, breads, and cakes from 7am to 7pm Tuesday through Saturday and until 5pm on Sunday.
You can choose from a selection of freshly baked all natural gluten free items in Long Island City from 9am to 5pm on weekdays at Sans Bakery.
We have also written about:
- Smoothies, Juice & Gluten-Free Bakeries in Newark
- Smoothies, Juice & Gluten-Free Bakeries in Philadelphia
- Smoothies, Juice & Gluten-Free Bakeries in Boston
- Smoothies, Juice & Gluten-Free Bakeries in Washington DC
Enjoy Eating Healthy In New York City
After learning about all of those local vegan and vegetarian restaurants, other healthy restaurants, salad bars, places to get great soup, health food stores and markets, smoothies and juice shops, and gluten free bakeries in your area it shouldn’t be hard for you to grab a delicious and nutritious meal in the near future.
If you noticed anything incorrect on this page please let us know in the comments so we can keep our info as fresh as possible. Hopefully you enjoy eating healthy food at restaurants in New York City.