We are all about to take a closer look at where you can find healthy food and restaurants in Washington DC today. We’ll do our best to cover all of the best locations near you to acquire nutritious foods so you will feel as good as possible when your next meal is finished.
The best vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your area will get things going and vegetable lovers have plenty of options in this town. Other local healthy restaurants will come next, as well as nice salad bars and soup restaurants.
Buying nutritious things at Washington DC health food stores and markets is a fantastic way to be in control of how healthy your diet really is. Smoothies and juice stores will follow, and then a few gluten free bakeries with lots of fresh baked low sugar sweets will wrap it up.
Towards the end there will even be a healthy foods map that will help you locate all of the places we mention throughout the article. And we have written about numerous cities around the region that you can check out at that link if interested.
Vegan & Vegetarian Restaurants
There are some really good vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your area like:
- HipCityVeg at 712 7th St NW
- Chaia at 3207 Grace St NW
- Fancy Radish at 600 H St NE
- Elizabeth’s Gone Raw at 1341 L St NW #1
- Sticky Fingers Diner at 406 H St NE
- NuVegan Cafe at 2928 Georgia Ave NW
- Shouk at 655 K St NW
- Busboys & Poets at 4251 Campbell Ave, Arlington
- Greens N Teff at 3203 Columbia Pike, Arlington
- Plnt Burger at 833 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring
- Planta at 4910 Elm St, Bethesda
- Yuan Fu Vegetarian at 798 Rockville Pike, Rockville
- St. Veg at Shady Grove Rd #14929-M, Rockville
Vegan burgers, sandwiches, salads, and frozen treats near you are available at HipCityVeg’s. Chaia has 6 different vegan and vegetarian tacos including their creamy kale plus potato.
Fancy Radish serves shaved spring vegetable salad, rutabaga fondue, grilled asparagus, Peruvian potatoes, charred broccoli, and miso butter noodles for dinner.
Some of the most popular options at Elizabeth’s Gone Raw include garden pea ravioli, cream of parsley soup, shrimpishtm creole, lime celery sorbet, sous vide lehigh potato confit, and tonka bean tiramisu.
You can buy 100% vegan food in your area at NuVegan Cafe with a variety of options to choose from including sweet kale salad, mac and cheese, crab cake sandwich, jumbo size cinnamon rolls, and other baked goods.
Israeli plant based dishes like za’atar cauliflower, mushroom shawarma, hummus, salad, pita, and falafel balls are provided at Shouk.
Greens N Teff is a family owned Ethiopian restaurant specializing in vegan and vegetarian dishes in Arlington including split pea stew, menchet, spicy mushroom enguday tibs and cabbage, and carrots yatakilt.
Washington DC Healthy Restaurants
There are plenty more healthy restaurants in Washington DC like:
- Flower Child at 2112 Pennsylvania Ave NW
- Naked Lunch at 1501 New York Ave NE
- Beefsteak at 800 22nd St NW
- Fruitive at 1094 Palmer Alley NW
- Sweet Leaf Café at 650 N Quincy St, Arlington
- Grateful Kitchen at 727 N Henry St, Alexandria
- Toastique at 1605 King St, Alexandria
- Sweetgreen at 8517 Georgia Ave, Silver Spring
- Cava at 8515 Fenton St, Silver Spring
- True Food Kitchen at 7100 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda
- Honeygrow at 12035 Rockville Pike, Rockville
Flower Child makes healthy dishes from scratch including bowls, wraps, salads, and plenty more with vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, keto, and paleo options.
Sushi bowls, kale caesar, and custom made organic bowls are available at Naked Lunch. Beefsteak specializes in vegetable based dishes as well as build your own salads.
You can get smoothies, avocado toast, salads, grain bowls, sandwiches, and soups at Sweet Leaf. Toastique is a good place to try gourmet toast and bowls as well as smoothies in Alexandria.
Salad Bars In Your Area
You can always get a nutritious meal at one of these salad bars near you:
- Chopt Creative Salad at 618 12th St NW
- Chopsmith at 11 District Square SW
- Black’s Bar & Kitchen at 7750 Woodmont Ave, Bethesda
- Oh Mama Grill at 188 Rollins Ave, Rockville
A wide range of salads, bowls, classics, and light favorites as well as homemade dressings are available at Chopt Creative. Chopsmith provides build your own salads, grilled plates, and a variety of healthful on the go options in your area.
Raw and organic salads, sandwiches, and seafood are Black’s specialties. Oh Mama Grill serves Mediterranean cuisine as well as salads in Rockville.
Really good soups can be found at these restaurants:
- Soup Up at 709 Kennedy St NW
- Corner Bakery at 2111 Wilson Blvd, Arlington
- Parkway Deli & Restaurant at 8317 Grubb Rd, Silver Spring
- Jetties at 4829 Fairmont Ave, Bethesda
- Urban Hot Pot at 1800 Rockville Pike h2, Rockville
Soup Up specializes in homemade soups that are low in sodium and made using organic, locally grown veggies, herbs, and spices as well as salads, wraps, and spring rolls with vegan and gluten free options.
Chicken orzo, loaded baked potato, cheddar broccoli, roasted tomato basil, and chicken noodle are some of the soup varieties offered at Corner Bakery.
Parkway Deli and Restaurant’s soup options in Silver Spring include matzoh ball, vegetarian mb, chicken, chili, organic lentil, lobster bisque, split pea, organic tomato, and basil clam chowder.
Jetties’ Maryland crab soup and New England clam chowder are definitely a must try. Urban provides all you can eat menus and excellent meat dishes in addition to being well known for their Asian style hot pots and Cajun seafood boils.
Don’t forget about the soups at Sweet Leaf and Greens N Teff who we linked you to earlier.
Health Food Stores & Markets
Buy your own fresh fruits and vegetables at these local health food stores and markets:
- Mom’s Organic Market at 1501 New York Ave NE
- Yes! Organic Market at 3809 12th St NE
- Mason & Greens at 913 King St, Alexandria
- The Vitamin Shoppe at 10 University Blvd W, Silver Spring
- Terry’s Healthy Food at 12059 Nebel St, Rockville
There are 13 Whole Foods Market’s near you in the DC Metro but we don’t like clogging up our lists by repeating the same chains.
Smoothies & Juice Shops
Smoothie and juice shops are good options for a quick and healthy snack:
- Jaco Juice & Taco Bar at 1614 Wisconsin Ave NW
- Robeks Fresh Juices & Smoothies at 1707 L St NW
- South Block at 3210 Grace St NW
- Rush Bowls at 1209 U St NW
- Tropical Smoothie Café at 3811 Fairfax Dr, Arlington
- Zen Press Juice Bar & Cafe at 8120 Richmond Hwy, Alexandria
- MoCo Nutrition at 19857-B Century Blvd, Germantown
- Nips Juice House at 8710 Cameron St, Silver Spring
- Joe & The Juice at 7263 Woodmont Ave, Bethesda
- Coldrip Organics at 1203 Taft St, Rockville
- Playa Bowls at 7733 Tuckerman Ln, Potomac
Açai and pitaya bowls as well as beverages with health supplement add ons like hemp, chia, flax, spirulina, PB fit, and bee pollen are all available at Jaco Juice and Taco Bar.
Robeks has local açai bowls and a wide variety of enrichments for your juices and smoothies such as chia seeds, flax seeds, cayenne pepper, turmeric, matcha green tea, bee pollen, spirulina, raw honey, and agave.
Nutrient based dense bowls and smoothies in your area with up to 5 servings of fruits and vegetables as well as customizable boost options for more protein, energy, and antioxidants are offered at Rush.
Playa excels at providing healthy and delicious pitaya, coconut, and açai bowls as well as smoothies in Potomac.
Gluten Free Bakeries Near You
Gluten free bakeries in Washington DC should have plenty of good things to try:
- Rise Bakery at 2409 18th St NW
- Sweet Crimes Gluten-Free Bakery at 1238 Pennsylvania Ave SE
- Sticky Fingers Sweets & Eats at 1370 Park Rd NW
- Baked by Yael at 3000 Connecticut Ave NW
- Olivia Macaron at 3270 M St NW
- The Happy Tart Falls Church at 410 S Maple Ave #110, Falls Church
- The Red Bandana Bakery at 8218 Wisconsin Ave #101, Bethesda
A nice display of cupcakes, breads, bagels, croissants, pastries, pies, cakes, cookies, and bars with vegan varieties can be found at Rise Bakery. Additionally they serve classic sandwiches and paninis with homemade spreads as well as pizza and desserts.
Sticky Fingers is your one stop shop for tasty plant based goodies near you. They provide bake it yourself and decorate it yourself kits as well as ready to eat cookies, brownies, cupcakes, and so much more.
Baked by Yael is one of the first local nut free and kosher cakepoppery spots creating treats and other delicacies from scratch.
Olivia’s gluten free macarons are available in different season inspired flavors such as fruity pebbles, s’mores, red velvet, and traditional French with a unique American touch.
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served at The Red Bandana Bakery where they also feature a selection of pastries, cakes, and breads with many gluten free options in Bethesda.
You might also want to know about:
- Healthy Places To Eat in Baltimore
- Healthy Places To Eat in Philly
- Healthy Places To Eat in Richmond
- Healthy Places To Eat in New York City
Enjoy Eating Healthy In Washington DC
Now that you have read about all of those local vegan and vegetarian restaurants, other healthy restaurants, salad bars, places to get great soup, health food stores and markets, smoothies and juice shops, and gluten free bakeries in your area it should be easy for you to grab a delicious and nutritious meal in the near future.
If you noticed anything incorrect on this page or if anything we mentioned has become dated please let us know in the comments so we can keep our info as fresh as possible. Hopefully you enjoy eating healthy food at restaurants in Washington DC.